Friday, October 8, 2010

Devolution

A couple weeks ago, when crossing into Vietnam, a Vietnamese border official paused and informed me that my passport photo looked nothing like me...fortunately this didn't seem to matter much, as he let me in anyway. I should note that my passport was renewed in January of this year, so the photo is recent. And in Tibet, a guy stroked his face and howled at me on two separate occasions on the street. This made me beam with pride, like Tom Selleck must whenever anyone mentions his mustache. Indeed, it has been awhile since I have used a razor and yes, grooming has not been atop my list of late (I really am not concerned about the soiled, funk-laden man next to me on the bus judging my appearance). Yet I did find myself getting my first ever mani-pedi in Hoi An a couple days ago. Emily caught me at a vulnerable moment and lured me with a carrot (a beer), which I did consume as two women made my nails look oh-so-pretty.

Anyway, I thought I would post a few pictures documenting said 'devolution' (as Emily calls it).

Taken Aug 10th (similar to passport photo)












Taken Aug 11th (Left) / Taken Oct 7th (Right)

No comments: