Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Klondike

(This post is best enjoyed while listening to either Ho Hey by the Lumineers or We Come Running by Youngblood Hawke.)

September 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 

Last fall, Jill was part of a relay team that ran the Klondike up in Alaska.  She said it was amazing and that Devin and I should join her team for the 2012 relay.  At the time, I told her that it sounded like fun, but I didn't know what life would be like this fall.  School for Devin?  Getting the time off?  Paying for the airfare?  Blah, blah, blah...  Life is short, right?  If I was ever going to run in Alaska with Jill, why not this year?

I arrived in Juneau on Wednesday afternoon and Jill and I spent the day with Collin and his dad Mark, who also ran on team Quality Goods.  Of course we made a stop at Alaska Brewing and enjoyed a few tastes.  



That night we hopped an overnight ferry with Giselle and Clif (who you may remember from this post) and arrived bright and early to check out the booming metropolis of Skagway, Alaska.


On the ferry.

Camp Emily


Camp Jillin



Skagway, Alaska



Giselle worked in Skagway this past summer and she gave us a tour of the town's highlights.

Jill, emptying her purse while looking for a pen - she even had boots for Letti in there!


This is where Giselle worked.

After wandering around Skagway, Jill, Collin, Mark, and I drove up to Whitehorse, Yukon to pick up our RV for the race.  The scenery on the Klondike Highway is spectacular, and it's the same route as the relay.  Jill and I made the trip 4 times that weekend!



Collin... and Horton







Carcross, Yukon



Le Château!

On the road, again.










The four of us camped near Whitehorse on Thursday night, in the RV of course, at a campground next to a hot springs!  Perfect.












On Friday morning we made the drive back down to Skagway to collect the rest of our team.  The race would start that evening.

**The Klondike Trail of '98 International Road Relay**

A map, for your reference.

An elevation map of the run.
Our team, in relay order: Julienne, Clif, Leah, me, Collin, Jill, Giselle, Nick, Mark, Michael.


A rainy start for Julienne at 7:30pm.



Clif, getting pumped to run up a hill... a big hill.

Giselle, Collin, Leah, Michael


Clif and his fanny pack, waiting for the handoff with Julienne.


Julienne wanted champagne when she was done running her uphill battle.


Awesome Hawaiian checkpoint between 3 and 4, aka Clif and Leah.


Leah - super amped to run!


Nick (oops), Leah, Collin, Jill, Julienne


Sweet.


Waiting for Leah - me and Nick


Jill


Down time while the race charged on.

The moon and Nick


Jill, waiting for Collin and wishing she had been able to poop.  


Stopped on the side of the road to wait for Jill and give her water.  
We did this for everyone at different mile points on their run.




Jill ran with the sunrise...




First beer in 3 months - it was 5 o'clock (pm) somewhere.







Watching for Giselle.



Passport x10


Julienne getting a moment of sleep.
I did a lot of driving that night and for a big chunk of time Julienne was my copilot/cheering partner.
  
Emerald Lake - the most beautiful lake I've ever seen.


Waiting for Giselle next to Emerald Lake

The Team


Nick, Clif's fanny pack, and Leah






Me, not really sleeping.  I was up for 38 hours that day/night/day.

Mark, kicking ass and loving it!




Michael, our anchor, waiting for the handoff with Mark





We finished 24 of 50 in the mixed team category with a time of 17:18:19 (awesome) and an average pace of 00:09:29 (also awesome).  I had such a blast, and I think everyone else did too!  (You can tell by this picture that I was lacking sleep.)

After the race our team, and many others, went to the Canada Games Centre to play in the pools, sit in the hot tubs,  and ride the water slide.  There was a race party that night, but I opted to sleep in the RV.


Sunday post-race reward = a stop at Tim Horton's for doughnuts

On Sunday we drove back to Skagway, where most of us took the overnight ferry back to Juneau.  (Collin and Mark made a 5th trip (!) back up to Whitehorse to drop off the RV, after which they continued on a road trip to Anchorage.)


Camping out in the solarium of the ferry.




The ferry got to Juneau around 2am and after dropping friends at home, we went back to her house and went back to sleep.  Later that day we took Lettsky to the beach and then wandered around town. 

At Sandy beach.  (I don't know why I can't get this picture to center.)

Downtown Juneau

Jill brought me to the airport on Tuesday, but not before a quick stop to see the Mendenhall glacier.


It was another amazing trip to Alaska!  Every time I'm there I'm floored by the intense beauty of the state.  Not only is Juneau gorgeous, but it's where my sister lives, and she is precious to me.  And!  Her friends are fabulous.  I feel extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel up there and join their team.  Thank you so much guys!  

And Jill, again, bravo on captaining an awesome team!

Love, Em

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Em that was awesome!
J